Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Biomechanics Presentations

So tomorrow lies the biggest day of graduate school thus far.

It is my Biomechanics Presentation.

I have been rehearsing it over and over and over, so much that I do it in my sleep, and yet, I have no idea what Im talking about. Allow me to give a run through of what this presentation is all about....

Imagine you have this professor who is "the shit" and when I say this, I don't mean he is super cool - I mean he is the head in his field and could almost be considered a celebrity research. He is all that and more. He does this annual "Biomechanics Symposium" where all us 8 grad students choose a topic, and topic, and then have 10 minutes to talk it - and 5 minutes to answer questions. Questions that will come from and one of these 200 people we will be standing in front of presenting data we don't even fully understand. Needless to say, I'm a little nervous. Let me also stress that this presentation is worth 30% of our final grade in the class - so it is kind of a big deal.

The grade is divided into content and style. So, obviously, Ill be pulling out that Banana Republic Suit and pray he doesn't know it is last years line. That should get me my style points. As far as content.....well lets just hope that he doesn't know anything about "Soldier Load Carriage" - the genius topic I have picked based on my internship where I worked for the army and thought it would be easy based on my first hand experience. Stress on the the word thought.

I videotaped my self an hour ago giving the speech.

I said "um" 46 times. In 10 minutes. That's close to 5 um's a minute. Is it because I don't know what I'm talking about. Yup. That is pretty much why.

Oh but wait - it gets better.

The symposium goes for 2.5 hours (there is a small refreshment break in the middle - unfortunately I will be so near vomiting that refreshments will not be looking appealing). There are 8 of us presenting. And, oh, lucky me....spot number 8. The grand finale. The Last Hurrah. The end of all ends. Im going to have pit stains as large as basketballs in my BR suit by the time I'm up there. The only thing that will get me through this will be the cold beer I know that is waiting in my fridge as soon as I get home. And maybe the Wendy's conveniently placed on my ride home (after all, nothing says "you've had a hard day" quite like a spicy chicken sandwich and a frosty - especially if it is complimentary).

So, I have probably put off reviewing this presentation again too long. I've reached the end of stalling and I probably should now look into ironing my suit. And looking for some extra strength antiperspirant.

1 comment:

Jaclyn Cranston said...

I'd suggest you purchase "certain dri" conveniently located at a grocery store near you (I prefer Meijer but they do not have those in PHILLY! ahhh!)...as it's name says it's supposed to keep you dry...most of the time it works or at least prevents it from really sweating...put it on at night before you go to bed. Be careful not to put it on after shaving (think Ouch! and not so fun burning of your armpits), but for the most part it works pretty effectively! TRY IT!