Saturday, November 21, 2009

Runners "Hi"

After running 2 marathons, I know what that runners high is...you get it after 15 or 16 miles and you start thinking "huh, that isn't so bad, I feel great". Then you get to 21 or 22 and its a different story and you start thinking "why does anyone do this?", "this sucks", "I think I am going to die. Right now". This feeling is awful, but the runners high you get early is an amazing feeling - I have learned being the nerd that I am, that this high is a rush of endorphins...so it is kinda like a drug. So sweet, I guess I'm not drug free - sorry D.A.R.E.

But there is this other high that I think is less Physiological - and its a runners "hi". I became especially aware of it this morning while I was on a quick 6 mile run. After running over 30 miles earlier this week, this "quick six" was painful - and I had a couple bouts of "this sucks" and "I think I am going to die", etc. However, Saturday morning is a runners haven. So many runners - especially today. 50 degrees, sunny, calm and quiet. So soothing. I passed 6 or 7 runners this morning, 4 of them said "hi", gave a little smile and wave, or even said a "beautiful morning for a run, huh?". I find that these other runners are what keeps me going. Seeing them, and having them acknowledge me is almost like a little high - I always pick up my pace a little bit - and all the pain I was feeling is relieved for a little while. A high from a hi.

Yesterday on a 10 miler - I passed a lady as I was running up a steep, long hill. She said "Keep it up, this ones a killer". I smiled and laughed - then an hour later when I was running down it she was running up it - "killer." she said - and I told her "it's good for you". Love it. Wednesday on an 8 miler and 60-70 year old man passed me 3 or 4 times on his bike "wow girl, how far are you going?" When I told him 8 he laughed and just said "Good for you! I'm glad you are out here!". Love it. They give you a reason to be out there - they make you feel good when you may be feeling awful.

Further on that, I can't stand the runners I pass that look at the ground and don't bother to smile, say hi, or even acknowledge that I am there, running on the same road. I know they see me, they move over so we don't crash into each other. We are all runners - we are out there, we are friends of the road - say hello, make me feel like you enjoy being out there - that way I can enjoy it as well. I even go so far as to waving at the guy running on the other side of the 4 lane highway*. Makes me feel good, makes him feel good. Maybe I'm addicted to the hi. Maybe I need the hi to get me through the run.

Someday I am hoping that one of these runners I say hi to will say "I see you running a lot, what are you training for? Want to run with me?" Maybe this will be how I make running friends. Until that day happens, I'm going to keep waving, and try to make everyone believe that I am having a great time, and that my body doesn't feel like it got ran over by a tractor. But hey, I'm a runner. We are stupid. We run when it hurts. We like it went hurts. We never stop. We...or maybe just I...get a high from the hi's. So keep them coming!


*Note to readers/mothers, there is a sidewalk and I am only running on this 4 lane highway for .2 miles - danger factor minimal

No comments: